A Little Bit of Malaysia in Minnesota

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 Edit This 0 Comments »
Greg asked me to do this blog. Warning, do NOT read if you like good food and are hungry! Greg's family lived in Malaysia (the other side of the world) for a few years when he was younger and he has very fond memories of some of the local food. When we were on our honeymoon I was able to try some of it at a restaurant called The Banana Leaf in Vancouver, BC. It was sooo yummy! We ate there twice in the 2 days we were there. Then, when we moved to Houston, we found a Malaysian food place there. It closed not too long after we moved there though. Greg was very excited to learn from a co-worker, who lived in the same area of Kuala Lumpur as his family did, that there was a delicious Malaysian take-out restaurant about 30 minutes from our apartment here in Eden Prairie! We first tried it right after we moved here when Nana Becca was still here visiting. We FINALLY made it back there last weekend and were really glad we did.



Satay (think grilled chicken kabobs)

These are the sauces that you dip the Roti and Satay in. The one at the top is a spicy, peanutty sauce that you dip the chicken in. The one at the bottom is a kind of coconut, potato, curry sauce that you dip the Roti in. I pour them both over fried rice.



This is the Roti. It is a kind of bread. I never met a bread I didn't like, but this one is a particularly delicious variety. It looks kinda like crepes but isn't nearly as sweet. You could put May-haw jelly on it and it'd be pretty dang good though! :p



The spread. Again, ignore my face. When you ask Greg to take a picture he immediately snaps like 3 and then he's done. I've got to teach him about warning people or saying, "Hey, I'm about to take those pictures." Haha, anyway...



Chowing down on some satay (chicken sticks according to Liam).



I had made Liam a peanut butter sandwich in anticipation of him turning up his nose at it, but to my delight, he ate it until he was stuffed!


0 comments:

Powered By Blogger

Background