Two Harbors
Friday, September 16, 2011 Edit This 0 Comments »After our afternoon siesta we decided to head north up to Two Harbors, MN. Our goal was the Split Rock Lighthouse, but we didn't make it because poor Ginny just wasn't in the mood to be in the car. It's address says it is in Two Harbors, but it is actually 20 minutes northeast of there which is a 40 minute round trip. We saw a lighthouse from the road once we got to Two Harbors and decided that would be good enough for us. This place was called Agate Bay. Agates are a gemstone. Lake Superior agates are stained red from all of the iron found in Minnesota (thanks Wikipedia). I was so glad we stopped because the blue horizon meeting the water as far as you could see was something I had been wanting to see for a while. Now I had been thinking Key West or Puerto Rico, but this was nice too :)
This sort of, kind of reminded me of the pictures I have seen of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. Both had some intense geological turmoil a loooong time ago.
It was kind of steep going down and totally worth the risk of falling in. Also worth hearing Greg going, "don't do that! Don't bring Liam! You are gonna fall in! Be careful!"
The water wasn't AS cold as I thought it would be, but put it this way... you'd probably have to pay me to go swimming in it.
Well yes there were easier ways to get back up, but I love making Greg nervous and I was trying to see if it gradually dropped off there or steeply dropped off.
I'm still not sure what happened to his finger. It kinda looked like a bite (maybe a horsefly), but he also might have scraped it on the rough concrete.
In the top left you can kinda see the red lighthouse that made us stop. I do not remember the name but it is a bed & breakfast now. I'd love to be there (with plenty of heat) on a cooold winter night!
The geese came to see us.
We loved this spot. We ate dinner on the shore and looked for rocks (and tried to keep them out of Ginny's mouth).


0 comments:
Post a Comment